Visa Information


Participants requiring a letter of invitation to assist with their arrangements to participate in the congress should send a request for an invitation letter to​ Letters will only be sent to those who are registered and fully paid via bank transfer to the Congress bank account. Kindly ensure that you include your full name (as shown in your passport), passport number and postal address and we will arrange for the letter to be issued and emailed to you within 5-7 working days.

All expenses involved with attending the conference are the responsibility of the attending party. Please note that this letter is not any form of guarantee from the organisers nor is it an offer for financial support.

If your visa application is denied (provided you applied within the deadlines set forth in the ERS 2018 Cancellation Policy) and ERS receives a copy of the denial by email to, your registration fee will be refunded, less a £50 administration fee.



The United Kingdom requires citizens of many foreign countries to obtain visas to enter the UK. If you are not a citizen and are intending to attend ERS 2018, please ensure that you obtain the correct visa to enter the country.

To find out whether you need a visa and how to apply to visit London, please visit or check with your local British Embassy or other diplomatic representative before you travel. The rules change regularly, so you should check you have the most up to date information for your trip.

Following the recent referendum vote for the UK to leave the European Union, visa-free travel is still in place for citizens of member states of the European Union, including to and from the UK.



If you are required to have a visa for entry into the UK, it is your responsibility to apply for a passport, visa or any other required documents and to demonstrate to consular officials that you are properly classifiable as a visitor under the laws within the UK. ERS cannot assist attendees with the interview process, nor can anyone representing the sponsoring organisations call an embassy or consulate on your behalf to provide support for granting a visa. Should your application be denied, ERS can neither intervene in the process nor change the decision of the governmental agency.

Documents you must provide include:

  • A current passport or other valid travel identification (You will need a blank page on both sides in your passport for your visa and your passport must be valid for your entire stay in the UK.)
  • Evidence that you can support yourself during the trip, such as a bank statement or payslip stubs from the last 6 months.
  • You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Where to send your documents:

  • You’ll be told where to send your documents once you apply.
  • Any original documents you submit as part of your application will be sent back to you.

Additional Information needed:

  • The dates you are planning to travel to the UK.
  • Details of where you will be staying during your visit.
  • How much you think/estimate your total trip to cost.
  • Your current home address and how long you have lived there.
  • Your parent’s names and dates of birth.
  • Your yearly income.

You might also need:

  • Details of your travel history for the past 10 years (as shown in your passport)
  • Your employer’s address and telephone number.
  • Your partner’s name, date of birth and passport number.
  • The name and address of anyone who may be paying for part or your entire trip.
  • The name, address and passport number of any family members you have (if applicable) living in the UK
  • Details of any criminal, civil or immigration offenses you have committed.


Apply Online using the convenient Online Visa Application Form.

You will need to have your fingerprints and photography (known as biometric information) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application. Visit the Visa Application Centres for a full list by country. 

Registering with Your Embassy

ERS suggests that tourists register with their country’s consulate or embassy when traveling.